Salmon over Greens

I've been feeling a lot better lately, and have started eating better...back to how I used to eat. More salads, more fish, not so many carbs...smaller meals, water water water!!! I've just always eaten this way, and it makes me feel great doing it. It is hard though to eat healthy on a budget. Everyone knows that. I always look for sales and deals when it comes to fish, but its hard to get to the store sometimes to get the fresh deal of the day!! One thing I've been doing lately is buying frozen fish. Obviously fresh is best, but one thing I do enjoy is Trader Joe's frozen salmon burgers. You get 4 in a pack and I can't remember off hand, but they were around 5 bucks. I think that's a good deal! Throw them in your freezer, and when you feel like a little fish, they take minutes to prepare, no thawing required.

I made this salad today for lunch. Quick Simple and Healthy. 

What you need:

1 frozen salmon burger (or get yourself a nice piece of salmon)
2 cups mixed greens
1 small avocado
2 TBSP slivered almonds (I keep these in the freezer)
1 oz goat cheese (I like Trader Joe's Honey Goat Cheese)
1 lemon
your favorite vinaigrette or make your own like I did

Take a cast iron skillet and heat on medium high. Add a few tsp of neutral high heat oil, I used avocado oil. Once the oil heats up season your salmon with salt and pepper and toss in pan, about 3 minutes per side. Once you flip it, squeeze some lemon juice on top, and add a little garlic to the pan. This just give it a bit more flavor.

While your salmon is cooking, add your greens to a bowl, slice up some avocado, chunk up the goat cheese, toast the slivered almonds and make your vinaigrette. Once your salmon is cooked, let it rest for a minute then chunk it up and top off your gorgeous salad with it, and drizzle your dressing all over. DONE!

Comments

Popular Posts