Pantry baked beans


So i've decided I need to start using all the items I have in my pantry. I have loads of beans, pastas, different kinds of rice, etc
So i though I would make whatever I can with the items I have. Substitute some items in a recipe but still get great dishes.
My first one is baked beans. I had a craving for a hot dog, and to me what goes better with a hot dog then baked beans. Well the only beans I had were kidney or white beans. I figured that the kidney beans are similar in texture, they have that same meatiness as pinto beans and a similar taste.
What you need:
1 onion, chopped small
1 can kidney beans
1/2 cup stock (i used vegetable) 
1/4 cup bbq sauce
3 tbsp ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp dry mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tbsp red pepper flakes
few shakes of your favorite bbq dry rub
salt and pepper


Sautee the onion in a medium sized pot until soft, then add all the ingredients and bring up to a boil, then reduce heat to low and stir occasionally until thickened about 20-30 minutes.

Making beans is so simple and worth it! You can add more spice or more sweet to your tastes. Even add some bacon chunks if you like.

Comments

Popular Posts