Moroccan Chicken Soup

Serves 4

This recipe is SOO GOOD! I was pleasantly surprised at how flavorful this was. I mean, I knew it would taste good because the America's Test kitchen hasn't let me down yet, but I didn't expect to be so happy with it as I am.  This recipe is simple to make, easy to double, and can totally be made after work and on the table in 30 minutes! This recipe is from America's Test Kitchen; The Best Simple Recipes, a cookbook I am blogging my way through.

What you need:
1 TBSP vegetable oil (i used canola)
1 onion, chopped fine
1 TSP garam masala
5 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 (16 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (i used one can)
2 zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup plain couscous
1 rotisserie chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded (about 3 cups)
salt and pepper

What to do:

1. Heat oil in a dutch oven, or large pot, over medium heat. Cook onions until light browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garam masala and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in chickpeas, zucchini, and couscous and cook covered until couscous is tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
(I let the flavors blend together about 10 minutes more on low heat.)


Comments

Popular Posts