Potato Leek Soup with Smoked Turkey Sausages!

I've never made potato leek soup before!!! Can you believe it? I was shocked myself!
I did a bit of research on different recipes for this one. I was looking at an America's Test Kitchen recipe, which was more rustic and had few ingredients. Then i was looking at an recipe which had creme fresh, and bouquets of spices and all these crazy steps. To me, Soup should be simple. Throw a few ingredients in a pot, add some stock, let simmer and SERVE! SO i kinda decided to make my own version using a little bit from both recipes. One recipe called for 2 strips of bacon, all I had on hand was smoked turkey sausages with cheddar! I think it worked well!! Bare with me, I didn't write down exact measurements!!!

What you need:
2-3 tbsp butter
3 leeks, roots and dark green cut off, white and light green parts you keep, cleaned and sliced on the thin side
1 smallish red onion, chopped small
3 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped

1/2 cup white wine

1 lb of potatoes, Peeled and medium diced (i don't really know how many potatoes make a pound so I used like 3 fairly large ones, 2 medium and 3 small potatoes.)
5 cups chicken stock
4-5 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
10 whole peppercorns
5-6 Johnsonville turkey smoked sausages w cheddar, cubed
1 heaping tablespoon of creme fresh




I think that's everything!!!

So get a nice stock pot going with a medium heat and throw a few tbsp of butter and oil in the bottom, wait til it gets foamy, then add the red onion and leeks. let them get softened, about 10-15 minutes. Don't let them brown!
Next, add your garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Deglaze with white wine. Let the wine cook out for about 1-2 minutes.
Add in your potatoes, and stock, and herbs. Bring up to a boil, then reduce to low for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. I had the lid on, but not quite all the way. Take off the heat.

In a large sauté pan, cook up the turkey sausages until they are browned up and juicy! The reason I used the smoked turkey sausages with cheddar is because its what I had in my fridge!!!

Using an immersion blender, or a standard blender blend your soup until smooth.

once the soup is the consistency you like, add the turkey sausages right in. Cook about 5 mins, but if you have more time then give it a little more to allow all the flavors to meld together.
Right before serving I added the creme fresh.

I got a nice loaf of crusty french bread, and enjoyed this soup for dinner!



If you notice I didn't add any salt!!!! between the chicken stock and the sausages I didn't feel it was necessary, but to each their own!!

Comments

Popular Posts