blackened tilapia with shredded zucchini


This is one of my favorite things to make. So quick, so simple and fresh. I had some Jamaican Jerk Seasoning in my pantry and added a few other spices to make it "blackened". It had some sweet, salty, garlicky, and some spice to it. I squeezed some fresh lemon juice over the fish right when it was done cooking to give it that extra kick of flavor. There is nothing better than flaky fish with the taste of lemon on it.

What you need:

1 lb tilapia 
olive oil
1 large zucchini, shredded
1 lemon, zested and juiced
seasoning (see below)

The Jerk Seasoning had these spices in it:
allspice
garlic
black pepper
chilies
onion

I added
cumin
salt
onion flakes
red pepper flakes

I used about 3 tsp of the spice mixture for a pound of tilapia. I enjoy making up my own spice blends, just adding a little of this and a little of that until it tastes good to me!

Lay your tilapia fillets out and sprinkle half of the spice mixture on the, then flip over and season the other side with the remaining seasoning. 

Shred your zucchini with one of these


Heat a non-stick pan on medium high and add a few tbsp of olive oil. Add the tilapia and cook for about 3-4 mins, then flip over and cook again until cooked all the way through. 

In the mean time, heat a small pan on med, drizzle a bit of olive oil in the pan,  the saute one chopped clove of garlic. Add the shredded zucchini, some kosher salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and a bit of garlic powder. Saute for a few minutes stirring often. Once the zucchini is heated through add the lemon zest, lemon juice, a pat of butter and a bit more salt and pepper to taste.

Make a nice bed of the shredded zucchini in the middle of your plate, and place the tilapia on top.
Enjoy!









Comments

Popular Posts