Grilled English Peas


So  the other day I went with my friend Dale to a farm stand outside the JCC in Stamford. It was Red Clover Farms from Seymour, CT. They grow organic produce year round, and you have the option to pre-pay per season for about 10 weeks worth of fresh produce and you pick it up weekly. Find out about this and their farm here 

I decided to purchase a container of English Peas, and some yellow squash and zucchini. I've never cooked with English peas before. They said to steam them for a few minutes and season. I thought there must be another way to enjoy these fresh peas. I thought about how they are similar to edamame, where you eat the insides, not the outer shell...and I though how nice it would be to have the simplicity of cooking my entire dinner on the grill tonight. So I decided to experiment...hoping it would come out nice, if not I was going to be sad that I wasted these amazing peas.

What you need:

some english peas ( i don't really know how much they gave me, but it was enough for 2)
olive oil
kosher salt
red pepper flakes

Pre heat your grill to medium high.

Rinse the peas and then dry them on a towel. 
Put them into a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes.
Place them on the grill, making sure to have them in an even layer.

Let them cook a few minutes, then turn over and cook for a few more minutes.
You want them to have some nice charred grill marks.
The heat from the grill will steam the peas in their pods.

When they are done, throw them back into the same bowl you started with and toss with any remaining oil and seasonings. Season with a bit more salt and red pepper if needed.

Enjoy as you would edamame! 

Simple and SOOOO TASTY!!









Comments

Make me up said…
these looks so yummy! I normally just take the peas out of the pod, but i'll definitely try this!

Popular Posts