Vegetarian Burritos


this is what I am using in tonight's pantry clean out. I'm doing really well, you can actually move stuff around in my pantry for once!!! I am having fun creating dishes with only what I have on hand, but to be honest it's starting to get a bit hard now. I am happy that I am doing this because I am saving money, and not letting things go to waste.

Brown rice, black beans, garlic, salsa, cheddar cheese, jalapeno (from my garden)whole wheat tortillas, half an onion, zucchini, and yellow squash. Add whatever you want to these.

Since its super hot out I decided to use my rice cooker.

I added my rice and water along with some nice Mexican seasonings, like cumin, garlic, cilantro, chipotle in with the rice. It will just give it a nice flavor base I can add to later.

Cube the zucchini and squash and sprinkle with some kosher salt. Let it sit in a colander for a little while to remove some of the moisture.

In a saute pan, add some olive oil and your chopped up onion, saute til the onion becomes translucent and soft, add a few cloves of chopped garlic.

Next add your squash and zucchini and saute until the start to brown a little bit. You don't want to cook the squash for along time because you will end up with a pan of mush. Chop up your jalapeno and add to your mixture. Mix in your brown rice. Season with thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. 




Lay out your tortilla and add some of the shredded cheddar , then some of the rice mixture, and top with salsa. Roll up burrito style and serve warm with some salsa and sour cream on top. ***I found a box of Jiffy Mix and made some corn muffins (which i forgot about in the oven so they were a bit well done)



ENJOY!!!!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts