London Broil with Steakhouse Beans

This is the second  write up from America's Test Kitchen-The Best Simple Recipes

mmm this was amazing! The recipe calls for you to cook your steak in a skillet, then take it out and add your beans and cook them in the browned bits that are left over. Now if it were winter I'd be all about that, however since its summertime, I decided to grill my steak outside. I also added a small mixed green salad just to round out the dish .This serves 4



What you need:

1 London broil (about 1 1/2 lbs)
salt and pepper ( i also used garlic powder)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 (16 oz) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
3 TBSP A.1. Steak sauce
2 TBSP molasses
1 TBSP Dijon mustard

Pat dry the steak and season it with salt and pepper (and garlic powder if you are me!) Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Cook steak until well browned 5-7 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil.

Add beans, broth, BBQ sauce, A.1.steak sauce, molasses, and mustard to empty skillet, scraping up the browned bits. Bring bean mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until it is thickened , about 10 minutes. Slice steak against the grain, serve with beans.

I cooked my steak on the grill as I mentioned. When I made the beans i made them in a pot, instead of the skillet. It took longer than 10 minutes to thicken, this is because when they cook in the skillet they are spread out thinner and will cook faster.

The beans were really good. They had a nice texture and great flavor. It went really well with the steak, it kinda became a sauce for the steak and tasted amazing when you had a mouthful of both.

Comments

Kaela said…
Thanks for checking my blog out! Love your blog- SUCH yummy food!!
NCPat said…
Definately trying this one for DH!
AmandaCakes said…
Kaela thanks for the comment! i'll be posting more this weekend!

Pat! how are you darling??!
Kara said…
Great Recipe! London broil is my favorite type of steak. I would recommend trying grass fed Black Angus beef when cooking your london broil steak. It is absolutely delicious and a healthier option. I work with La Cense Beef and because our beef is 100% grass fed it is higher in omega 3 acids and lower in calorie and fat as opposed to traditional grain fed beef. Try grass fed Black Angus Beef and you will be able to taste an even bigger difference!

Popular Posts