Lasagna

so today is NATIONAL LASAGNA DAY!!! in the middle of July...who would think of such a thing?!! Having to have your oven on at 375 degrees for about an hour in 90 degree heat makes no sense what so ever!! HOWEVER...eating ooey, gooey, melty cheesy lasagna....amazing and totally worth it! There are tons of lasagna recipes out there, and to be honest this recipe i kinda just threw together, and is not my typical lasagna that i make. I always read multiple recipes and then make my own idea of what something should taste like.(unless of course I'm blogging my way through a cookbook, then i am pretty precise!)



I thought I'd try something simpler, not the complex homemade meat sauce with a fontina bechamel sauce, layer upon layer of meaty juicy cheesy extra cheesy lasagna.

nope.

I decided to make a different kind of lasagna, no meat, no bechamel, and with zucchini!
                                                    
                                                Simple flavors.

I can give you my sauce recipe, but everyone has their own idea of what should go in a sauce. I'll tell you this though, when i made my sauce this time, I decided to make it chunky, cut the onions bit bigger, sauteed them a little less. Just to give it a nice garden taste and texture. 




 What you need (all measurements are approximate!!)

2-2 1/2 cups of your mamas sauce
1/2 lb zucchini, sliced thin
 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup shredded pecorino cheese
2 cups part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
1 box lasagna noodles( i used no boil this time)
salt pepper
olive oil
italian seasoning

Preheat your oven to 375. In a medium pan saute the zucchini slices in olive oil a few minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels and season with some of the italian seasoning. You want to do this because zucchini has a lot of moisture in it, and if you don't saute them, then your lasagna will be watery. YUCK!

in a separate bowl add the ricotta, pecorino and gruyere cheeses and mix them together. season with pepper.
you are now ready to layer!!!

Next get your lasagna pan and spray it with non-stick spray. add some sauce to the bottom of the pan add a few lasagna noodles, the top with the ricotta cheese mixture, followed by a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese, then layer some zucchini. Repeat this 2-3 times, finish off with a layer of sauce then top with a good amount of mozzarella cheese.

Next get a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to cover the pan and spray once side with non-stick spray. Cover lasagna and bake for 50 minutes, then uncover and cook another 5 minutes or until cheese on top is melted and browned ( i like to stick it under the broiler to help brown it)

Take it out of the oven and let it stand for about 10 minutes. Cut and serve with your favorite garlic bread!



Follow amandacakes on Twitter FoodBlogBlog

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love lasagna.... how could I miss it's day of celebration? I'm your newest follower.
AmandaCakes said…
thanks so much Moogie!!
I have lots more to post, and will be soon...things have been crazy and have been traveling a lot! keep an eye out, and thank you for following me!

Popular Posts